Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Book Review | This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

This Shattered World

Author: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Amie: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Tumblr | Pinterest
Meagan: Twitter | Facebook | Tumblr | Pinterest
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Page Number: 390
Genre: Scifi
Publication Date: December 23, 2014
Synopsis from Goodreads: 
The second installment in the epic Starbound trilogy introduces a new pair of star-crossed lovers on two sides of a bloody war.

Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.

Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.

Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.

Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.

My Review:
(You might notice I'm going back to out of five snowflakes ;) )
One word-insta-love. That ruined it all. I enjoyed These Broken Stars a lot, and seeing all the pretty good reviews on Goodreads, I was expecting more than this. I was disappointed. Quite a bit, as you can tell. (I'm going to just list because I'm lazy and yeah! :D)
1. Instalove. I hate hate hate hate hate insta love. If you're going to have romance, I'd like to see some development, please! Jeez. It's been like 2 weeks since I've finished this book, and I still have no idea how they got together, and I feel nothing for their romantic relationship like I did with Lilac and Tarver. Also, they broke up, and hated each other, but loved each other...but what??? Seriously, your world is dying, and you're yelling at each other? Why? Why. Why.

2. World Building. I know it's in the same galaxy thingy as These Broken Stars, but I read These Broken Stars a year ago! Instead of refreshing and reviewing the galaxy again, I forgot everything. Also, I felt like the authors didn't mention the world much, they just assumed it was there. 

3. Plot. The plot was all over the place. Things were happening at random times, random things happening, like, what??? We were just here, talking, and now we're fighting for no freaking reason? No. Please. No. It was very obvious, the random, if any plot twists they threw in. They made no sense, and really shouldn't be there. Also, it felt very similar to Legend by Marie Lu. I found myself comparing the two, which is bad, because if I start comparing, which is pretty rare, it's probably a sign that the book's plot feels familiar to me.

4. Characters. I actually appreciated Jubilee, but Lee? Really? I know you're trying to be unique and all, but no. For example...
Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.

Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.
So in the beginning of the synopsis, they're calling her Jubilee, and then they're calling her Lee? When my friend first saw this, she was all like, who's Lee? And I had to point out to her the JubiLEE, which is really ridiculous. However, I did enjoy Jubilee as a character, although she did annoy me sometimes, acting all dramatic. Flynn was the typical male heroine, nothing funny about him, although I did like his sass ;) There were too many minor characters, with all the same voices, and I confused them WAYY too often.

5. Writing. Kaufman and Spooner's writings are pretty different, but they really blended well together in this book. I dunno...it's probably just me.

Final Rating: 

❄.5

Beatrice

No comments:

Post a Comment