Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Book Review | Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard


Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)

Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly #1)

Author: Susan Dennard
Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | Tumblr | Youtube
Publisher: Harper Teen
Page Number: 388
Genre: Paranormal
Publication Date: July 24, 2012
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Philadelphia 1876. The Dead are rising. A zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor Fitt. Whoever controls the Dead Army has her brother. She avoids her mother's choice of husband for the lab of Spirit Hunters, including the maddeningly stubborn yet handsome Daniel. The situation threatens her reputation, and the lives of everyone in the city.

My Review:

Something Strange and Deadly was indeed something strange and deadly. (I know, I’m so punny.) What did I like, and what did I hate? (not really)

  1. Characters
Eleanor, the protagonist of the novel, really annoyed me in the beginning of the novel. However, towards the end of the book, she really did mature a lot, and although she’ll never be one of my faves because she’s honestly kind of stupid and reckless, I appreciate her development throughout this story.

DANIEL IS SO ADORABLE ACKKK!!!! His arrogance, sarcasm, ARGH SHIP SHIP SHIP. I shipped them right from the start, and although it was obvious that they were going to be together, I loved seeing them fall in love - although Eleanor had sort of love at fifth sight… whatever. AND THE PARCEL. THE PARCEL. You know what I’m talking about.

Jie. Remember how I said Eleanor was kind of stupid? Well, this is one of the reasons. I’m Asian, and Jie in Chinese means Older Sister. Also, the fact that they shave their heads? Um, no. And bound their feet? Um, no. Besides that, Jie was probably my favorite character in this book. She was so badass and strong, and I was so pleased to see her relationship with Eleanor grow.

Throughout this whole book, I just wanted to punch Eleanor’s mother. She KNEW that they were low on money, but she still wasted money on stupid dresses and curtains? PLEASE. Give me a break. No wonder Eleanor can be dumb and careless.

2.    Talk About Intriguing
Maybe it’s just me, but I haven’t read many books about zombies. The plot was all sorts of interesting, but it was a bit predictable. I knew the plot twist was coming at the end; I was surprised Eleanor didn’t pick it up. The whole necromancer thing really intrigued me, especially the magic parts.

This book was more about the magic parts, rather than the gruesome and bloody parts. Which actually, I’m fine about, because I don’t particularly like vomiting on my books, yeah? (QUOTING JIE YEAH?) I went into this book thinking it would be gross, but to my pleasant surprise, it wasn’t!

3.     THE ENDING
The ending was cray. Eleanor gets injured, and the other Spirit Hunters just leave? Like, what??? Her mother is still being stupid about Eleanor getting married to a fine gentleman, although she already knows after the incident, no one’s going to want to marry her.

Honestly, I just want to pick up the second book. Seriously. BINGE READING, YEAH? (JIE JIE JIE)

Final Rating: 

❄❄

Beatrice


No comments:

Post a Comment