Sunday, March 20, 2016

Book Review | Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

*image via lisa_lostinlit on instagram

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1)
By: Leigh Bardugo (@lbardugo)
Published By: Henry Holt and Company on September 29, 2015
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 465
Goodreads // Book Depository


Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.


Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.

"No mourners. No funerals."

OH MY GOD. This was absolute perfection (well, close to it), and I was mind blown about how much Bardugo has improved in her plot lines. Her writing is so beautiful, yet dark, and I just want to quote EVERYTHING. The novel was filled with plot twists, and an intricately thought-out plot that was just SO amazing. The characters were #SQUADGOALS. Everything was really intense and the pacing was fast - I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!

I wasn't a big fan of all the characters from the start, like some people were. What I really loved was how the characters grew on you, and by the end, you're just like OMG MY LITTLE TEDDY BEAR I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. There was MUCH DIVERSITY in this novel, and I loved it. Kaz sort of annoyed me with his "I'm so much better than you" vibe he had going on. (I felt that way while reading the beginning-anyone else?) Matthias was just weird to read about, but by the end, I adored him so much. I even have a gigantic teddy bear named after him. Um. Yeah.

Nina was the Grisha of the novel, and I just loved her from the start. I do think her relationship with Inej was a bit quick to begin with, as I didn't expect Inej to trust anyone, but BOY ARE THESE TOO #BADASSLADIESGOALS. Their sarcastic comments to each other also felt loving as well, and these ladies can kick butt. 

The plot of this novel was well thought-out. I was engrossed from the very beginning. Their little heist thing had a bunch of plot twists that I did not see coming. Also, this book is DARK. Bardugo doesn't hesitate with the gruesome parts.

The relationships hurt. I can't remember a time I was more hurt by a relationship. Although they were incredibly subtle for a YA novel, they were there, and they were so painful to read. ALL OF THEM. I SHIP THEM ALL, OKAY?? The relationships were also all so FRUSTRATING because EVERYONE in the crew seems to be stubborn as heck. Which isn't surprising, but still. <-- that's not a sentence. HAHAHA. THIS WHOLE REVIEW IS JUST ME FANGIRLING. I swear I can form sentences. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Six of Crows was in third person, which I liked, because it made it easier to flip through all the characters (THERE ARE 6!!!) POVs without spoiling anything or making it easy to predict what was going to happen. I think Shadow and Bone was written in first, (ahhhh don't kill me it's been a while.), which was one of my problems with the book, so I was glad this one was in third. I was disappointed that Wylan didn't get his own POV because I admired him so much and just felt SO sorry for his past. 

The Grisha World is one of my favorites, and although I did think it got confusing at times, there was always TWO beautiful maps in the front of the book that I could refer to. I fell head over toes in love with this elegant and beautiful world that just seems so...incredible. Bardugo really brought out all the different cultures of this world, and I loved the differences. 

OH AND DID I MENTION THE BEAUTY OF THIS BOOK OH MY LORD. The pages are black stained and they are just gorgeous. The cover of this novel is so appealing and elegant yet DARK and everything I could ever hope for. The typography just kills me. Bless.

Overall, this book was incredible and I LOVED IT SO MUCH and if you haven't already, PLEASE do go read it. Seriously. 

Let's discuss! What did you think about Six of Crows? DID YOU LOVE IT AS MUCH AS I DID?? :)

Final Rating: 

❄❄❄❄

No comments:

Post a Comment