Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Series Review | To All The Boys I've Loved Before Duology by Jenny Han



To All the Boys I've Loved Before Duology
By: Jenny Han (@jennyhan)
Published By: Simon & Schuster
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 288 // 337
Goodreads // Book Depository

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before:
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

PS: I Still Love You:
Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?
In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.

“You'd rather make up a fantasy version of somebody in your head than be with a real person.”

I just guess I just hate fluffy, romantic, flimsily-written contemporaries. I just happen to be a fantasy person. This duology was HIGHLY praised and claims to be romantic and awesome. I was expecting something more exciting, and I was, yes, expecting a love triangle, but this series came out to be a huge disappointment. Yes, I did read the second book, but after what happened in the first book, who couldn't? Han's writing also consequently happens to be pretty darn addicting.

Let's be positive and happy and discuss what I liked! I loved the family dynamics and how prominent her family and siblings were in her life. My friends and I often bake, and I liked the baking aspect of this novel. Lara Jean (LJ because I don't want to type) is always baking cookies and delicious treats, and they just make me so hungry! The novel didn't exactly embrace the Korean culture of this novel very well; it must be since her father is white and her mother passed away that they don't focus on this. I would have really enjoyed that detail if it was written well.

However, LJ is such a pain. She's naive, immature, and did I mention SPOILED? She's sixteen, and probably way more immature than I am. Her narration makes me want to cringe how much she whines. After all the pretty drastic events that occur in this novel, she doesn't mature at all. She's still the baby she was in the beginning. And does it just feel like LJ is a bit clingy? A tiny bit? 

The romance was a hopeless mess. It was like this "love triangle", if you even want to call it that. I like to refer to it was a love mess. It's OBVIOUS who she's going to get together with, and although I like him, he just feels plain and a simple cookie-cut main interest. I don't even understand how they got together. SPOILER: Did I mention that the other guy is her sister's EX? Do you know how revolting that is? *shudders* In the second book, there's ANOTHER love mess thing.

Plot? What plot? Uh, they literally just get in fights and do nothing and LJ seems like she has nothing going on in her life. She has no activities, and it just seems she just stays at home and does nothing. The first book's plot was decent, but the second book's "plot" was stupid and did not help the story at all.

Let's discuss! What did you think about the To All the Boy's I've Loved Before Duology?

Final Rating: 

❄❄

No comments:

Post a Comment