Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Book Review | Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)


Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1)

Author: Veronica Rossi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Page Number: 374
Genre: Science Fiction
Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Synopsis from Goodreads:  
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. 
This was worse. 
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland--known as The Death Shop--are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild--a savage--and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile--everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.


My Review:
This was not what I was expecting. At all.
I needed more science fiction, so I picked up this book, hoping it would be good.
It was good.
It just wasn't what I'd expected then. I don't even know what I was expecting. This book was on my TBR pile for a LONG time. No, not really.
This book certainly had a plot twist that caught me off guard.
And it was really better than I thought it'd be.
The writing was something I missed, something I hadn't seen in a pretty long time, done well.
The two main characters, Lilac. No. Great. No I'm thinking about These Broken Stars and breaking down. Aria and Perry had alternating POVs, which I hadn't seen done well since the Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu.
I really liked that instead of love at first sight, like some authors do, Aria and Perry just form a formal, friendly relationship, that wasn't too deep. Of course, I knew they were going to get together, but I liked how Rossi slowly developed that relationship. 
And of course, there's Talon. He reminds me a bit of Zu from The Darkest Minds and James from Shatter Me. These people all have on thing in common - they're young, but they're awesome.
How could I forget Roar? Roar is really kick butt. I really enjoyed his character, he's probably my favorite character. I also really wanted to see him with Liv, Perry's sister...but that's for another time...right??? *hopeful looks*
Aria was a dry character in the beginning, but she really did develop. I started to find her less annoying as time went on. 
Perry was meh for me. He's the typical hero in a story. I didn't hate him, but I didn't like him that much either.
The world building was also kind of meh for me. Sometimes, I got confused on where and what was going on, which happens a lot in science fiction.
However, overall, I liked this book a lot. Definitely checking out the second book. 

Final Rating: 



~Beatrice


No comments:

Post a Comment