Thursday, April 2, 2015

Book Review | Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins



Rebel Belle (Rebel Belle, #1)

Rebel Belle (Rebel Belle #1)

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Page Number: 352
Genre: Fantasy
Publication Date: April 8, 2014
Synopsis from Goodreads: 
Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.


My Review:
This book was DEFINITELY not what I was expecting. AT ALL. This book looks like chick-lit romance, with the bow and necklace. I swear, I didn't even SEE that sword in the cover. I just picked it up because you all said it was good. Holy...when I realized it was FANTASY, my jaw just dropped. This is a new type of fantasy-A GIRLY type. This is taking fantasy to a whole different level. 
Beginning: we were talking about her stupid lip gloss, and I just wanted to put the book down that moment. But then...action picked up...and I LOVE ACTION! :) Geez, that makes me feel vicious. Yikes.
This book should've earned 10/10 snowflakes...but...there were some things.
THE STUPID FRICKEN LOVE TRIANGLE. See, I'm fine with some love triangles, but this one just gets on my nerves. I feel like Harper doesn't like David OR Ryan that much. Not like a Percabeth, or Dune Iwing ship thing. I also don't get the DavidxHarper relationship. It probably will get into depth later, but for now...I don't like the romance in this book. 
I hate and like Harper at the same time. Yes, she did prove females don't have to be strong and tough stuff, they can be a blonde cheerleader homecoming queen tripping all over her feet, too. I like her personality: she doesn't say the f-word, hates the s-word...homecoming queen...cheerleader...and pretty much anything you'd find in a girly person. I, personally, am more of a tomboy. But she is a really good southern belle. She can be stupid at times...like crying about the lip gloss...and saying "no" to her powers...WHO FRICKEN WOULDN'T WANT POWERS? That's what I want to know. Hmph.
The magic, though, was pretty interesting.
I NEED THE SECOND BOOK. WHAT KIND OF ENDING IS THAT? :( 

Final Rating: 

❄❄❄❄

~Beatrice


No comments:

Post a Comment