Monday, April 27, 2015

Book Review | We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


We Were Liars

Author: E. Lockhart
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Page Number: 227
Genre: Contemporary
Publication Date: May 13, 2014
Synopsis from Goodreads: 
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.
 


Goodreads | Book Depository | Amazon

My Review:
This book hurt. A lot. It made me feel guilty. This book touched a lot of things in my heart, and omg...FEELS.
I'm just going to ditch all the fancy ratings and rant.
THIS BOOK. Touched my heart.
It wasn't hard to get through, but it was very, very deep. It talked about racism, inequality, family, love, money, greediness, and hope. 
I can't even get through this review.
This book fucked my mind. 
The author used a strange, but beautiful writing style that was so descriptive, yet so lost and mysterious. 
I went into this knowing nothing, so listening to a girl talk about these four friends and family on an island, I was all like, 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There's a JLaw gif for EVERYTHING. :)
I felt like nothing was happening, and my thoughts were all cluttered.
HOWEVER.
When we got to the middle of the book, I noticed that things picked up. Cady, our main character, was talking emotionally. Like talking about these things hurt. It was hard to get through, not because it was a bad book, but it was so emotional.  
HOLY CRAP.
THE ENDING.
I can't even. 
The love, the family, everything was so intricately woven together. 
It truly is a story of reality, how when people suffer, they turn to alcohol and other substances, how people change. Just because of one little issue.
Dude, I'm not even going to try to write a legit review. I'm mentally screaming inside.
Besides, I wanted to keep this review short and sweet. Because, as you might have heard, the less you know, the better off you are.  

Final Rating: 

❄❄❄❄

~Beatrice

No comments:

Post a Comment